Become a Host Family
The homestay program is the heartbeat of the Nova Scotia International Program experience. For students it's a way to learn about the Canadian way of life. For host families, it's an opportunity to bring the world home and gain a new family member.
Since 1997, the Nova Scotia International Student Program has welcomed students from around the world into homes across Nova Scotia. Working in partnership with the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, students are given the opportunity to study in English or French, improve their language skills, all while learning first-hand about life in Canada.
Eligible students come from all over the world and are carefully matched with Nova Scotian host families with the help of our dedicated homestay coordinators. Students range in age from 12-18 years old and stay anywhere from one month to one year.
To be eligible as an NSISP host family you need to:
- Provide a friendly, welcoming family environment to international students from a variety of cultures
- Consent to providing a Vulnerable Record Check and Child Abuse Registry check for every household member over the age of 18
- Provide furnished accommodation in a single room with a bed, dresser, closet/wardrobe, and egress window
- Provide internet and food for three meals a day
- Host a student for 3, 5, or 10 months (note: shorter term host families are also needed)
Participating in the Program can be a life changing experience for both students and their host families. Get involved today!
We’ve prepared a guide with everything you need to know about welcoming an international student into your family and home.